Without a doubt, one of the biggest concerns of our customers is data erasure for their used/old tape. This is to be expected, as proprietary data should be guarded against all odds. This is why we as an organization have developed a winning solution.
Our executive engineering partners spent more than five years investing in research and development for the best possible method of data eradication for LTO cartridges. The technique completely erases each LTO Ultrium tape, rather than re-writing a test pattern over existing data.
To successfully accomplish this task, we actually degauss tapes between the servo bands without destroying them. This allows for them to be reused again by the same or a different organization. Our LTO Tape Erasure and Reconditioning process meets the rigorous demands of major regulatory bodies such as HIPAA, SOX, SEC, Sarbanes-Oxley, and more.
Additionally, our process is environmentally friendly. Because we completely wipe LTO tape free of data and make them ready for reuse, numerous tapes are kept out of landfills and kept from incineration. Recycling is a responsible action that can be taken by organizations large and small.
How Our Reuse Process Works
To give you a deeper understanding of how our process works, the following steps are employed as we recondition LTO tape:
1. All data is completely expunged from pin to hub by “localized” degaussing. (DO NOT USE A TRADITIONAL DEGAUSSER) (see video:
2. The entire tape surface is cleaned.
3. The media pack is exercised and precision retentioned.
4. The tape reference edge is laser scanned and evaluated for quality.
5. Each tape is performance evaluated for age, wear from usage, data errors, servo track errors, and drive interface issues.
6. A separate drive read/write data test and reset to blank tape action is performed.
7. A permanent marker is recorded onto the tape memory to date and reveal our process has been performed.
8. A complete record is kept by Big Data Supply as proof that each tape has undergone erasure, is reset, and is high quality.
There are many benefits surrounding LTO Data erasure. Not only is it eco-friendly and does it help organizations meet various regulations where data is concerned, it has the power to generate cash.
If for any reason you don’t want to hold on to your old tapes, our buy-back program pays cash for recycled tape.
Feel free to ask our team as many questions as you’d like on both data erasure and our buyback program. We live to educate our clients!
Info@BigDataSupplyInc.com / Toll Free 800-905-7329 / Local (714) 647-9000