Qualstar, a manufacturer of data storage solutions, has released its latest line of LTO tape libraries. This comes at a time in which organizations are increasingly turning to LTO technologies for longterm storage and regular backups.
The new Qualstar library is the Q24, which offers a smaller operator console and screen than the company’s previous versions. It also offers a Web-based remote library manager that allows for admins to configure, monitor, and upgrade any library over an intranet or the Internet.
It is expected that small and midsize organizations will adopt the Q24. While the Q24 is compact, it is quite powerful and allows for easy scaling and upgrading from LTO-5 to LTO-6.
Other key features of the Qualstar Q24 include:
- 24 cartridge slots
- 12-slot magazines
- An I/O port
- One full-height or two half-height LTO-5 or LTO-6 tape drives
- Up to 150 terabytes with LTO-6 compression at 2:5:1
- 2U height x 19-inch rack mount
- Barcode comes standard. This streamlines the inventory process.
Why Consider LTO Tape?
There are numerous reasons organizations should consider LTO tape. First and foremost, it is economical. Disk-only data storage infrastructures are must more expensive.
Secondly, tape is the eco-friendly way to go. Tape can be recycled and reused. This is very important as e-waste (much of which could be reused) is thrown into landfills and/or incinerated.
Thirdly, LTO-tape is getting more powerful and is expected to become even more so in the coming years. Thanks to LTFS and the massive amounts of data each tape can store, gobs of data can be quickly stored and easily retrieved after the fact.
Finally, tape is extremely stable. It has a shelf life of 30-plus years. You can be sure you data will be safe from harm and danger at all times with LTO-tape.
How to Get Started with Tape
Have questions about LTO tape libraries? We can help steer you in the right direction. Please contact us via e-mail or phone.
[email protected] | Toll Free 800-905-7329 | Local 949-679-6633
Happy 2014! At Big Data Supply, we are amazed that the New Year has arrived so quickly. As the year unfolds, we will bring you all sorts of interesting facts, ideas, and stories surrounding data tape media.
To begin, we would like to share the importance of e-waste recycling. With only 3 percent of tape cartridges being recycled throughout the U.S., it is vital that organizations begin paying attention and taking action.
By choosing to recycle in 2014, your organization can:
• Keep perfectly good data hardware out of landfills.
• Greatly reduce the amounts of toxic gases from being released into the air. via incineration.
• Provide growing organizations the opportunity to purchase recycled goods and save money.
• Gain positive public relations for caring for the environment.
• Pave the way for a better future for today and tomorrow’s youth.
Plus, you can gain instant cash for selling new or used data tape media and other hardware. In fact, Big Data Supply pays top dollar for all tape cartridge formats including (but not limited to):
IBM 3592 JA, 300GB, 18P7534, 18P9271, 18P9263
IBM 3592 JB, 700GB, 23R9830, 23R9815, 23R9811
IBM 3592 JC, 4TB, 46X7452, 46X7452L, 46X7452LI
LTO-3, 400/800GB - All Brands
LTO-4, 800/1600GB - All Brands
LTO-5, 1.5/3TB - All Brands
LTO-6, 2.5/6.25TB - All Brands
8mm VXA X23, V23, X17, X10, X6, Exabyte or IBM
8mm VXA Cleaning Exabyte, IBM - New
SLR-5, 4/8GB - All Brands
MLR-1, 13/26GB, 16/32GB - All Brands
MLR / SLR Cleaning - All Brands New
4mm 170m DDS-5, DAT72 - all brands
Companies of all shapes and sizes rely on our team to make sure that all data is completely eradicated from tapes, helping them comply with regulations as set forth by SOX, Sarbanes-Oxley, SOX, and HIPAA.
We’ll make sure you are always 100% compliant with all regulations, while providing you instant cash for all of your new and used equipment.
In today’s world, there is no reason that organizations shouldn't take advantage of e-waste recycling programs. It’s a win-win for all parties involved.
Have questions or want to get started as soon as possible? Call or e-mail our recycling team and we can get started!
[email protected] | Toll Free 800-905-7329 | Local 949-679-6633
Have a used tape library that you don’t know what to do with? The good news is that there are some excellent options out there for making a bit of cash when you sell used tape libraries.
At Big Data Supply, we offer top dollar for used tape libraries regardless of brand. Whether you have STK/SUN/Oracle, Dell, Compaq, Quantum (and all others), we’ll make sure that you get the best deal possible.
In case you are having doubts about selling one or more used tape libraries, we hope the following will help you make the right decision:
When you sell used tape libraries, this provides other organizations and individuals the ability to save a tremendous amount of money. Purchasing brand-new equipment is quite expensive, thus a growing number of up-and-coming firms are investing in refurbished technologies.
You also have the opportunity to buy used tape libraries if you are seeking an equipment upgrade.
2. Keeping Used Equipment Out of Landfills Rocks
The danger of holding on to technologies that you are no longer using is that one day they may end up in a landfill, rather then being proactively utilized. If you sell used tape libraries now, it is very possible they can quickly be refurbished and put into use.
An used unit gathering dust doesn’t do anybody a bit of good. Plus, each month or year that goes by is less cash in your pocket.
3. Joining the Technology Recycling Movement Makes a True Difference
It’s a wise decision to invest a bit of time and energy into a recycling program that can benefit both your organization and the world around you. When you recycle your tape library, you can let the world know what you are doing and inspire others to do the same.
Where Big Data Supply Comes Into the Picture
Not only do we purchase tape libraries, we buy new and used LTO tape, disk array, peripherals, and the list goes on.
We invite you to call or e-mail our offices with your questions. If you are wanting to sell one or more tape libraries, please provide as much detail as possible and we’ll get a quote to you as soon as possible!
If you are considering the idea of recycling your electronics and/or purchasing recycled goods, we hope the following will inspire you to make the best decision for planet earth:
1. 80 to 85 percent of electronics are discarded into landfills or incinerated (releasing toxins into the air).
2. Between 20 and 50 million metric tons of e-waste is disposed of worldwide each year.
3. E-waste represents 70 percent of the toxic waste in the U.S. Sadly enough; lead found within electronics can contribute to central and peripheral nervous system damage.
4. Did you know that cell phones and other electronics devices often contain high amounts of precious metals such as silver and gold? Americans alone dump an estimated 60 million in gold/silver each year.
5. Most LTO tape can be recycled, earning a substantial amount of cash.
6. Recycling one million laptops has the power to save energy equivalent to more than 3,600 homes in the U.S. a year.
7. The majority of what is labeled “e-waste” can be reused. Thus, it isn’t waste at all.
8. Did you know it takes 539 pounds of fossil fuel to manufacture a single computer and monitor?
9. The majority of equipment used within a data center can be recycled including tape, disk array, tape drives, and peripherals.
At Big Data Supply we take e-waste very seriously. This is why we regularly educate the general public as to the importance of correctly disposing of and/or recycling electronics.
Our recycling team recommends the following with regard to your electronics:
1. Consider each and every item you own recyclable until you are told by a professional it isn’t. And even then, you may want to get a second or third opinion.
2. Realize that your old electronics may be work money. For example, we pay competitive rates for working data storage tape, tape disk drives, peripherals, and more.
3. Tell your friends about the importance of recycling. If you see a friend throwing away electronics, either educate them on e-waste or offer to find a recycler for them.
We invite you to contact our offices if you have any questions about recycling. And once again, please pass on the above e-waste statistics.
It’s about time we human beings take the health of the planet seriously! Join us in our effort to make people and organizations more aware.