There’s a lot of misinformation about there about tape and disk storage. For years now, the “experts” have maintained that tape would be dead as a doornail by now. However, this couldn’t be further from the truth.
First and foremost, it’s important to know exactly what you’re asking when you question disk and tape. There are all sorts of functions that take place when data is being preserved. For instance, there are backups and then there is data restoration.
In the case of a disk backup or data replication, data is send over distance using a WAN. The data is then taken to an offsite storage facility. In this case, you may wonder if this is faster than a tape backup and offsite storage.
The answer depends on a handful of factors, including the amount of data that must be moved across the WAN, the distance that it must be moved, and the overall efficiency of the WAN. It is all too often reported that the speed of a WAN is often quite slow.
If a WAN is slow and inefficient, LTO-6 tape and other leading tape backup options are the way to go. It is possible to transfer massive amounts of data in a very short timespan. Plus, when it comes to stability over time, tape has a very long shelf life.
Another thing to consider when analyzing the efficiency/performance of disk and tape is file structure. It use to be that disk ran circles around tape when users tried to access a particular piece of data or file. Now LTO tape has LTFS (Linear Tape File System), which allows for data to be retrieved much faster than it used to be.
Also, it should be mentioned that the streaming rate of tape is much faster than disk. Thus, when for long block files (such as videos) once the very first byte of a requested file is found, the transfer of the entire file is significantly faster.
As tape continues to evolve, it will be quite interesting to see how its role within the data storage system evolves.
We predict that tape will continue to grow in importance, especially as data storage systems continue to grow exponentially for organizations of all shapes and sizes.
Have any questions surrounding the above info? We’d love to answer them. Please drop us and e-mail or give us a call, and we’ll help steer you in the best possible direction.
[email protected] | Toll Free 800-905-7329 | Local 949-679-6633
Happy 2014! At Big Data Supply, we are amazed that the New Year has arrived so quickly. As the year unfolds, we will bring you all sorts of interesting facts, ideas, and stories surrounding data tape media.
To begin, we would like to share the importance of e-waste recycling. With only 3 percent of tape cartridges being recycled throughout the U.S., it is vital that organizations begin paying attention and taking action.
By choosing to recycle in 2014, your organization can:
• Keep perfectly good data hardware out of landfills.
• Greatly reduce the amounts of toxic gases from being released into the air. via incineration.
• Provide growing organizations the opportunity to purchase recycled goods and save money.
• Gain positive public relations for caring for the environment.
• Pave the way for a better future for today and tomorrow’s youth.
Plus, you can gain instant cash for selling new or used data tape media and other hardware. In fact, Big Data Supply pays top dollar for all tape cartridge formats including (but not limited to):
IBM 3592 JA, 300GB, 18P7534, 18P9271, 18P9263
IBM 3592 JB, 700GB, 23R9830, 23R9815, 23R9811
IBM 3592 JC, 4TB, 46X7452, 46X7452L, 46X7452LI
LTO-3, 400/800GB - All Brands
LTO-4, 800/1600GB - All Brands
LTO-5, 1.5/3TB - All Brands
LTO-6, 2.5/6.25TB - All Brands
8mm VXA X23, V23, X17, X10, X6, Exabyte or IBM
8mm VXA Cleaning Exabyte, IBM - New
SLR-5, 4/8GB - All Brands
MLR-1, 13/26GB, 16/32GB - All Brands
MLR / SLR Cleaning - All Brands New
4mm 170m DDS-5, DAT72 - all brands
Companies of all shapes and sizes rely on our team to make sure that all data is completely eradicated from tapes, helping them comply with regulations as set forth by SOX, Sarbanes-Oxley, SOX, and HIPAA.
We’ll make sure you are always 100% compliant with all regulations, while providing you instant cash for all of your new and used equipment.
In today’s world, there is no reason that organizations shouldn't take advantage of e-waste recycling programs. It’s a win-win for all parties involved.
Have questions or want to get started as soon as possible? Call or e-mail our recycling team and we can get started!
[email protected] | Toll Free 800-905-7329 | Local 949-679-6633
• Money savings & money gained. Purchasing used disk array in excellent condition will save you a decent amount of money. As you are probably already aware, the development of a data storage and archival system is a costly pursuit. Used equipment allows for you to invest in top-of-the-line technologies for far less.
Buy selling used disk array, you have the power to reinvest money gained into your data storage system and/or put some money away for a rainy day.
• Environmentally friendly. It’s no secret that too many perfectly good electronics get thrown into landfills or incinerated on a daily basis. In fact, statistics show that only a fraction of data storage devices are recycled and reused.
You truly have the ability to make a difference for future generations by selling old disk array and inspiring its reuse.
• Helping others. Just as you can save by purchasing used disk array, you can give up-and-coming organizations the opportunity to buy equipment at excellent rates.
• More bang for your buck. Instead of being limited to a particular brand or unit because buying new is costly, you have more buying power when you by used disk array.
The beauty of buying used data storage equipment from Big Data Supply is that you know you are getting gear that is:
1. In perfect condition.
2. Guaranteed and warrantied.
3. Low price.
We are here to answer any of your questions and provide you with the very best used equipment. Also, we are thrilled to make you an offer on used disk array!
Give us a call or send an email, and we’ll get the process started.
Numerous organizations and individuals turn to Big Data Supply to let go of their used tape, as they know they can trust our ability to expunge their legacy data and ready their tapes for reuse. Beyond tape, we offer top dollar for disk array, no matter the model or brand – both new and used.
Selling your used disk array can benefit you and the environment in many ways, including:
1. You can recoup a portion of the money you initially invested in your data storage system.
2. Your recouped cash can be reinvested to upgrade your current data storage environment.
3. You have the power to save space if you are planning to keep your disk array stored.
4. You will save your equipment from landfills and/or incineration.
5. Other organizations can benefit from buying your used disk array.
As mentioned prior, we are willing to take all brands and models. Common brands purchased include (but aren’t limited to) Dell, Hitachi, Fujitsu, IBM, Infotrend, SGI, HP, NetApp, Xyratex, and Sun.
If you are local to our offices, our team can arrange a pick up for your disk array, tape, and any other electronic devices you would like to recycle.
Once we have obtained your devices, we will offer a quote and arrange for payment. We can also offer credit toward the purchase of newer, more robust equipment.
Other items Big Data Supply will buy back and recycle:
• Tape drives
• Tape libraries
• Telecom equipment
For more information on selling disk array or any of the above items, we invite you to contact our team today.